Latest employment opportunities at Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre.
Artist in Residence Opportunity
Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre (CRMC), Coventry City of Culture Trust (CCCT) and the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum are collaborating on a micro-residency opportunity for a visual artist in the West Midlands. The residency will take place in July-August 2021 at CRMC in the newly renovated workshop space. The micro-residency will be announced during Coventry Welcomes and will celebrate Coventry as a migrant city. We are looking for proposals that respond to the themes of welcome, sanctuary and refuge, particularly exploring Coventry’s cultural make up of twice the national average of migrants living in the city. The micro-residency is an opportunity to creatively engage and collaborate with people who have sought sanctuary in the city and people who are currently using the CRMC. This engagement should inform the development of a new artwork. The newly commissioned work will go on display at CRMC and on the Herbert’s website Culture Space Coventry: https://culturespacecoventry.com/ The residency forms part of Integrate Coventry which is led by CRMC and aims to help to integrate refugees and other third country nationals to rebuild their lives in safety, becoming fully self-sufficient and establish themselves within the wider community of Coventry. www.integratecoventry.co.uk This project has been part funded by the European Union Asylum, Migration and Integration Fund, making management of migration flows more efficient across the European Union. Funding has also come from the Herbert, in partnership with Coventry City of Culture Trust.
• 4 days of workshops across 4 weeks delivered at the Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre.
• Collaboration with people who are engaging with services at the CRMC to develop new work.
• A new artwork that will go on display at the centre. The same artwork will be shared on the Herbert Art Gallery and Museum’s website.
Click on the link to see previous micro-commissions.
The successful artist will receive a fee of £1300 to deliver the workshops and create a new artwork.
Can I apply?
To apply you must be over 18 years old and based in the Midlands. This is an opportunity for migrant artists and artists who have sought sanctuary in Coventry.
How do I apply?
We are committed to creating more access to opportunities such as this. To make our application process easier, we will accept written documents, videos, audio files or any other application format that you feel comfortable with.
In your application, please make sure you include the following information:
• Your name and pronouns
• Where you live and make work
• A description of your practice and the artforms you use
• A bit about yourself
• What work you are proposing and how this could be presented both online and at the Coventry Refugee and Migrant Centre (CRMC).
• Why this would be a good opportunity for you.
• How you would involve and engage with people using CRMC and how you would take into consideration participant’s needs.
Please also include:
• A link to your website or social media (if applicable)
• A selection of images, videos or screengrabs of your previous work
• A completed Equal Opportunities Form The deadline for submissions is 28th June 2021.
The decision will be made by 2 nd July 2021 by staff from CRMC, CCCT, the Herbert and an impartial/independent judge.
If you need any assistance with your proposal, please contact Rosie at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please email your application to Rosie Watts at email@example.com and Megan Evans at firstname.lastname@example.org